The Importance of Fathers



Fathers are key to the success of the individual members of a family. As mentioned in a previous blog post, “The Balanced Differences of Boys and Girls,” there are important and helpful differences between men and women. Together, these traits can help foster the best environment for children to grow up in.

Historically, it was very common for families to be together all of the time. Before the industrial revolution, each member of the family worked together to make a living. This offered a lot of time for both parents to be with their children.

When the industrial revolution came, however, everyone started living in separate worlds, with even the children working hard and long hours before child labor laws prohibited such practices. By the 1950s, it was as if fathers were guests in their own homes, not really knowing their wives or children anymore. It was become more and more common for fathers to be physically present sometimes, but functionally absent most of the time.

Fairly quickly, it became a prevalent issue for many homes to be completely fatherless. A problem we’re dealing with today on many fronts.

Before getting into the research of the irreplaceable role fathers play in families, I want to give a little anecdotal evidence from my own life. My dad is the greatest man I know. Sadly, there are so many people who cannot say that about their own fathers. He and my mom led our home side-by-side. From his relationship with my mom, I see how a true gentleman should treat a woman: with respect, love, trust, and appreciation. Many times, I have seen him express these to my mom in the little day-to-day things he does.

He is also so kind to me. Growing up, he was always at my dance recitals, violin performances, supportive in my school work, and took time to be with me. He was constantly building our relationship. The other weekend he came to visit me at school, and I had no problem spending most of my time with him. In fact, I wanted to be with him and enjoy his company! He was really helpful in providing insight and building my confidence in myself with some of the things I am going through in my life. In short, I look up to father and want to be married to a man who loves our children as much as my dad loves me.

Coparenting, or how parents come together to raise their children matters. How a mom and dad perform their roles as parents affects the quality of their relationships with their children. The better parents work together in a positive way greatly increases beneficial developmental outcomes for their kids.

A study done by Jay Fagan and Rob Palkovitz in 2011 found that the better a relationship was between a father and his children’s mother, the more engaged he was in his children’s lives. This is applicable in all sorts of family structures: marriages that have never divorced, those that have, others who cohabit, etc. Still, the study recognizes:

Romantic involvement implies greater emotional closeness than friend or acquaintance relationships and a greater commitment to dyadic agreement than less close relationships. Reciprocity norms in romantic relationships require consideration of the other’s perspectives and feelings to a greater degree than friendships or acquaintance relationships.

 Therefore, the closer the parents are, such as in a married and romantic relationship, the closer the father will be with his children in their lives. Being positively involved in his children’s lives, he can demonstrate effective social skills, increase a child’s internal motivation, work ethic, and realize their potential. This is most effective when a loving mother is involved as well, just as her parenting is more effective when she has a supportive husband.


Reference:

Fagan, J. & Palkofitz, R. (2011). Coparenting and relationship quality effects on father engagement: Variations by residence, romance. Journal of Marriage and Family, Vol. 73, No. 3


Comments